Art Alexion on 20 May 2006 04:22:51 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [semi-OT] integrating new dsl gateway into lan

On Friday 19 May 2006 19:59, Lee Marzke wrote:
> Is this your device?
> http://www.actiontec.com/products/broadband/54mbps_wireless_gateway_4p/inde
>x.php

Yes.

> If so, looks like it has a built in 4 port switch.   It would be better
> to use the built-int
> switch than a hub.    If your not running any web servers on your
> network you most likely
> don't need to change anything on the ADSL unit.

OK.

> Why do you think you need to do something to the clients or use the hub ?

Well I didn't know if I could run the LAN through the DSL router in addition
to the Internet connection or whether I needed the hub and a NIC on each
computer for the LAN, and another NIC to connect to the DSL router.  That's
sort of the way it is set now, except all computers except the one plugged
into the modem get their Internet over the LAN; the machine plugged into the
modem has two NICs -- one for the modem, and the other for the LAN.

> If your using your Linux box as a file server for your Windows clients,
> then you would use Samba.
>
> >can that  be accomplished through the gateway?
>
> I think you misunderstand.   The 4 ports on the gateway are JUST a switch
> that happens to be internally connected to the gateway.    Everything (
> SAMBA and/or FTP will continue to work on your LAN the same way when
> connected thru the 4 port switch as they did when connected to your hub.

So, I can run the Samba net as well as the DSL through the same 4 ports?

> Lee
>
> gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
> > If your modem is also a router, you should be able to add a hub or
> > switch to it.  Another way is to change the modem to bridge-only mode,
> > then connect a router to it.  I used the second method at my fathers
> > house since I had a router available and not a switch.  A third method
> > might be to keep the modem in router mode, then add a router as a plain
> > switch.
> >
> > Art Alexion wrote:
> >> Verizon just sent me a new modem, the Actiontec.  This DSL modem is a
> >> modem, an ethernet gateway and a wireless router.  My existing setup is
> >> a Linux computer using RP-PPPoE set to IP-Masq, thereby providing
> >> routing/gateway for the other 2-3 computers on the LAN.  The Linux
> >> gateway has two NIC cards: one to receive the DSL data, and the other
> >> for the LAN.  Two of the other (w32) computers have a single NIC; an OSX
> >> laptop has both ethernet and wireless built in so my question doesn't
> >> apply to it. There is an 8 port hub for the LAN.
> >>
> >> Is there a way for the w32 computers with one NIC to connect to the DSL
> >> gateway and the LAN without adding another NIC? In other words, can the
> >> Actiontec gateway act as both a DSL router and a hub?
> >>
> >> Is there way to chain the hub into this mess to achieve this?  (I think
> >> I have another NIC around, but it would be nice if I didn't need it,
> >> plus I just have the curiosity to learn another way to accomplish this.)
> >>
> >> Is it worth the trouble using FTP rather than Samba for the LAN, and can
> >> that be accomplished through the gateway?

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.
Info @