Art Alexion on 23 May 2006 23:03:45 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Changing DSL setup

Paul,

Thanks for trying to help, but there never was an uplink on the hub.  The
Linux machine had two NICs, eth0 for the LAN, and eth1 for the connection to
the DSL modem.  Everything on the hub was peer to peer.

This small network consists of 2-4 computers, usually one Linux, one w2k.
Occasionally, I turn on an old 486 VLB that has old data on it, and we plan
on connecting wirelessly with iBook OSX 10.4.  I never set up DHCP and only
used hosts files and hard coding of IP addresses.  The router assigns the
other machines IP addresses dynamically, and I'm not sure how to integrate
that into the LAN.

Sorry if I sound a bit thick on this.

On Tuesday 23 May 2006 18:11, gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
> That is what I already told you how to do.  If you maintained all the
> original connections to the hub, simply connect the uplink from the hub
> into the router.  If that works, move each cable from the hub to the
> ports on the router.  Done.
>
> Local traffic stays local, Internet bound traffic is routed to the
> Internet.  No need for parallel physical connections.  That is the main
> purpose of the router.
>
> (I hope I don't come across with "tone". heh I'm just trying to keep it
> short and simple.)
>
> Art Alexion wrote:
> > Now to figure out how to configure this to work with the gateway and
> > eliminate the hub.

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.