George Gallen on 26 May 2006 19:08:03 -0000

RE: SpamSlayer Alert: [PLUG] How do you set a NIC to only be 10mbs inLinux?

sorry, that was to a different email question
As to my fix. I don't know. It just started working again.

My setup is : 3comNIC -> firewall -> internet

I had complaints of slowdowns from the internet, so I did an ifdown eth1, then an ifup eth1
which at that point, now I lost contact with the outside world. Any attempts to ping/telnet out
gave me an "unable to reach destination ..." error.

Thinking that the firewall would only talk to a 10mbs speed machine I wanted to change the setting
but after a few minutes, the pings and whatnot started working again, I didn't do anything.

Thoughts:
1. when I did my ifdown, the firewall didn't know what to do, and took awhile to reset itself, even after I
    did an ifup on my side??
2. my NIC might be flaky...going to have to try to setup on one of the systems other NICs and see what
    happens. Given the mtu potential problems I'm having with the webpages and serving images, which
    also use this same port, and the absoulte solumn vow that the firewall isn't the problem??

George