Lee Marzke on 27 May 2006 14:38:24 -0000

Re: [PLUG] asterisk, voip, etc.

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
I'm considering buying VOIP service.  I've been reading about it.
It's cool, both technically and politically (all the crap that comes
from nearly a century of telecom regulation compared to the very
different development of the internet (and end-to-end)).

    http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/

My current setup is a cell phone, no landline but a dry DSL line
(i.e., no dialtone, just IP).  As a new Speakeasy subscriber (and, so
far, happy enough with them), I'm considering their service.  They
basically provide me with a phone number and access to an asterisk
server.  By my computations, I should be able to reduce my cell phone
plan enough that it should end up being cost-neutral to me when
combined with being able to drop my international calling service.

    http://www.speakeasy.net/home/voip/

I'm curious what experiences others here have had.  Any surprises that
came along?  Anything to watch out for?  How do you feel about call
quality?  (I've talked with skype users who sound high latency, for
example, but others who don't.)

Jeff,

There is a lot to learn when moving to VOIP. As far as VOIP providers they come in both
"consumer" and "wholesale" categories, with some companies doing both.

I have Speakeasy for DSL and well ( with near 100% reliability ), but use wholesale
VOIP.

The consumer services usually provide unlimited calling to US, or a list of countries, and
may also provide Voicemail, fax services, etc. These services usually provide their own
DSL router ( put in front of your own DSL router ) to give priority to voice packets. Rates
run from $20 to $40 per month per line.

The wholesale providers are like your "Dry DSL line" They provide you origination and
termination services only, and no extra features. They do not provide hardware - you
must use your own router with priortization. The basic line charges are 50c/month to
$11 month. Most do not offer unlimited service, but charge 1c/min to 5c/min.

The downside to the consumer services is that every line is expensive ( as you are paying
for average usage ) The consumer services generally will not support Asterisk - because
you could have a 100 phones on Asterisk all using the same line. They also limit you to
2 simultaneous calls ( 1 inbound, and 1 for call waiting ). If you get any DSL hardware
( ie a linksys box from Vonage ) they WILL NOT give you the password, and that box
will only work with that company.

If you are just starting out you would have better luck with the consumer services, as
you don't have to setup your own firewall rules, router, and priority schemes. If you
later move to Asterisk - these services may be acceptable if you have only 1 user
on Asterisk - but after that you may need a wholesale service that allows more
simultaneous calls.

The advantage of wholesale services is that you can test them out with very little
( only a $10 commitment ). You can also get inbound 800 toll-free numbers for
about $1/month. But you are going to have to learn a lot about VOIP
and/or Asterisk to get good quality.

The call quality is possibly dependent on your DSL speeds, your router, the ISP's router
the state of every Internet router between you and the destination, as well as the type
and quality phone on each end ( especially the phone on the far end ).

Some calls may be crystal clear, but you will aways have occasional issues, some that
are under the VOIP providers control, and others that are not. You definitely should
test out any service for 3 months or so before canceling your existing services.

Examples of consumer services:  ( See voip-info for more )
vonage.com
voicepulse.com
packet8.com
speakeasy