Jeff Abrahamson on 1 Jun 2006 11:49:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Confused about using cacview with mutt and mailcap entries

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 12:41:12AM -0400, Mike Leone wrote:
>   [23 lines, 147 words, 1084 characters]  Top characters: _ianslom
>
> So I want to use cacaview, to view jpegs from within mutt, for when I read
> email over an ssh tunnel. This is using debian testing. So I installed the
> cacautils package, and verified that cacaview works. (JPGs still look like
> crap, but I suppose it's better than nothing ...)
>
> Anyway, I'm confused about the mailcap entries. I have this, in /etc/mailcap:
>
> image/jpeg; /usr/bin/cacaview '%s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY"
>
> but when I try and view an attachment that mutt says is
> "image/jpeg", mutt tells me "No matching mailcap entry
> found. Viewing as text". So what am I doing wrong? Mailcap files
> confuse me. :-)
>
> And if anybody knows of a way to view images (JPGs, specifically) in
> a commad-line terminal that even remotely looks like the image, I'm
> eager to hear about it.

I have the following lines in my mailcap file:

    image/*; eog %s ; test=/home/jeff/bin/RunningX
    image/*; cacaview %s
    image/*; /usr/bin/identify %s; copiousoutput

Note the inverted order of the tests: If X is running, if X is not
running, then if it's inline (auto-view'ed).

The RunningX script is just this and is surely overkill as a script:

    #!/bin/sh

    # Return successfully if X appears to be running (based on DISPLAY)
    if [ "X$DISPLAY" = "X" ]; then
	# X is not available
	exit 1
    fi

    # Assume X is available
    #echo "X appears to be available"
    exit 0

In my muttrc I have the following:

    alternative_order text/plain text application/postscript image/*
    auto_view image/*

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://jeff.purple.com/>          +1 215/837-2287