jimjawn on 1 Jun 2006 13:31:16 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Sources for a Microsoft tax free laptop

1 Intel WM3B2915ABGNAX PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection INT-2915R $29.87
1 STT D400 SODIMM 1G/64x8 Micron Chip Notebook Memory D400SB1G_M $108.15
1 Intel Pentium M 755 2.0GHz 400MHz 2MB CPU,Retail MPM-755BX $300.76
1 Toshiba 100GB (MK1032GAX) 5400rpm 16MB Notebook Hard Drive (2.5 inch) DMTO1032X $159.65
1 [FR] Super Talent MS-1032 15.4 inch WXGA Glare WXGA W/DVD-RW Notebook Barebone Computer NB-32-DVB $735.00

The total comes to $1333.43 and doesn't include shipping.  I got this laptop because of the 128MB video card and I wanted to be able to play Quake 4, which it does pretty well.  Thus far my only complaint is that Ubuntu doesn't support the flash-media card (which is fine) and it doesn't have blue tooth, but I got an adapter for like $16 dollars.  Battery life is okay, but I keep it plugged in most of the time anyway.  Some of my favorite things about this laptop are nearly no noise, its suprisingly light and I'm diggin the keyboard.  Its fullsize and the keys and layout rock.

Hope that helps.  Check out some of the other models over at asus and ewiz if you're still interested.

Jim

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 08:46 -0400, Pat Regan wrote:
jimjawn wrote:
> Build one yourself.  That's what I did.  Depending on your budget and
> your wishes, you can put together an even better laptop for less than
> you'd pay for a compaq or gateway.
>
> I used ewiz.com and pretty much bought everything there for my
> MSI-1032
> <http://www.msicomputer.com/NB/product_spec.asp?model=MS-1032> and
> I've never been happier.  Everything component is covered with at
> least a one year warranty.
>
> Google for barebones laptops or check out pricegrabber.com.
>
> Jim

If you don't mind me asking, what does it end up costing to do this?  I
found a barebones MSI-1032 for about $600.  I also found a bunch that
are "fully loaded."  The fully loaded ones were too expensive.  They
cost as much as I paid for my new Dell and I got dual core, a higher
resolution screen, more memory, a 7200 RPM hard drive, and 3 year on
site service.

I understand not wanting to send any cash towards Microsoft, though.  I
just can't see spending that much more money to do it.

Pat