Art Alexion on 1 Jun 2006 14:01:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] firewall detection

You were right, it was a router NAT problem.  Figuring out how to fix it was
another problem.  On its web site Actiontec lists issues that it charges its
customers to support.  NAT issues are among them.  Like safety razors and ink
jet printers, the support here costs more than the product.  I don't have a
problem paying to talk to a person about a documented function that I could
have researched myself, but instead of documentation on a list of issues,
Actiontec just lists them as pay-per-question info.

I called Verizon who sold me the router/modem, and after educating the tech on
what ports are, she put me on hold for 5 minutes and came back to tell me
that they don't consider port blocking a connection issue and therefore don't
support it.  She offered to transfer me to Actiontec.  The Actiontec queue,
detected that I was coming from Verizon and directed me to call Verizon for
support before disconnecting me.

Finally after choosing every link on the Actiontec http configuration
interface, I found a place to unblock ports.  I also learned that the router
treats NAT and firewalls separately and that turning off the firewall does
not affect NAT.

On Tuesday 30 May 2006 14:55, gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
> Could it just be that port 6331 is no longer being forwarded by the new
> router?
>
> Art Alexion wrote:
> > Some firewall is blocking port 6331.  My router's firewall is supposed to
> > be off, but the port was not blocked before installing the router.
> >
> > Is there a way to detect which firewall is blocking the port?

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.
Info @