Art Alexion on 2 Jun 2006 14:41:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] linux compatible MP3 players?

On Friday 02 June 2006 09:17, Michael Bevilacqua wrote:
> On 5/31/06, W. Chris Shank <shankwc@acetechgroup.com> wrote:
> > Is there another MP3 player that is Linux compatible?
>
> I recently purchased the SanDisk Sansa e140 for my fiance and myself,
> about $75 at newegg.com. It's a 1G player with a 2G SD card reader
> built in for expandability. It's small, runs for about 15 hours on a
> single tripple A (I use Ni-MH) and uses the USB mass storage driver in
> Linux for uploading MP3s.
>
> The playlisting is limited and I'm assuming not as advanced as the
> Apple stuff, but that's really the only thing that's dissapointing.
> Not bad for the price.

In this small capacity range, the iPod shuffle is pretty nice. 512 MB (~9.5
hours) is $69, 1 GB is $99.  Two things that are advantages/disadvantages are
the lack of an LCD screen and a [replaceable] battery.

The disadvantage of no screen is obvious, the advantage is really long battery
life and the whole unit is the size of a pack of chewing gum with two sticks
removed.

The disadvantage of no AAA or watch-type battery is that it can't be charged
without a usb power supply, and it is essentially disposable when the battery
stops charging.  The advantage is the whole unit is the size of a pack of
chewing gum with two sticks removed -- and weighs no more.  This thing is
truly a shirt pocket thing -- weighs less than a pen.

Due to the lack of a screen, you can't really search and play efficiently.
Therefore, I recommend the 512 to play some podcasts or a random mix,
reloading whenever you want something different.  Nine hours is plenty for
me.

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.