Doug Crompton on 2 Jun 2006 16:48:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Backup MX Question

I have been using an sendmail access list and 'ERROR:"550 We don't accept
mail from spammers' return messages in sendmail. I have a backup mx that
has been complaining of stuff coming their way. would it be better if I
just ingnored (DISCARD) the mail?

Doug

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, John Von Essen wrote:

> Well, discarding spam is a feature of your milter. I use MIMEDefang. If a
> message is identified as spam, I use md's action_discard sub to discard
> the message. In the past I used action_bouce, which would send an email
> back to the sender - causing queue problems since most From: addresses
> were bogus.
>
> -John
>
> On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Michael Bevilacqua wrote:
>
> > On 6/2/06, John Von Essen <john@essenz.com> wrote:
> > > This is outbound mail that is in your queue, right?
> >
> > This is mail inbound that gets rejected by my primary MX and is then
> > queued at the backup. So spam that I'm rejecting, essentially.
> >

> > > Inbound mail shouldn't effect your queue.
> >
> > Right, not the primary queue, the backup mail queue.
> >

> > > Do you do spam filtering? If so, set it up to be silent. No return email
> > > to sender with status, just silently discard it.
> >
> > I'll give it a shot, if it's a feature I can find that sendmail
> > supports. Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Michael D. Bevilacqua
> > michael@bevilacqua.us

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *