Doug Crompton on 2 Jun 2006 16:43:42 -0000

Re: [PLUG] voip...

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 gyoza@comcast.net wrote:

> Doesn't credit like that get siphoned off if it isn't used after a
> certain amount of time?  I think Skype does that.

For sipphone it is 1 year. That is why I only purchased $10 credit. I
figured 1000 (us) minutes would last me awhile.

> As far as the Asterisk/Linux Vonage/MS comparison goes, I see Vonage as
> something different from MS.  I see it as being more simple and reliable
> than running my own service.  Vonage does the administration; I just use
> the service.  I worry less about back-ups, power outages, water heater
> leaks, etc..

Very true. I guess it depends how much you want to be in control and the
responsibility that comes with that. There is NO 911 when doing it this
way unless you keep your local telco, which I intend to do. For $15-20 a
month it is worth it. you can program Asterisk to route calls based on
your local calling area. If it is a toll call on your local reduced
service then send it via voip.

> That being said, I'm starting to get interested in Asterisk!  It's the
> same feeling I got when I starting building the old cantenna.  heh

Yes it is addictive. I am constantly finding new things in * to tinker
with.

Doug

> Doug Crompton wrote:
> > Cost so far here.... $80 for Sipura interface, $30 books, $10 for 1000
> > minutes (US) credit (gizmo). Future costs... minimal... just buying
> > credits as I need them which won't be very often.
> >
> > I suspect the PLUG group is very diverse knowledge wise but I see vonage.
> > skype, and other pay services to free ones, like mentioned above as Linux
> > is to Microsoft. It is open vs. closed and free vs. cost. You have to make
> > that decision.

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *