George Langford on 15 Jun 2006 16:51:05 -0000

[PLUG] Uploading files to a remote website with ftp

Here again I find myself struggling with a linux application
when I'd gotten used to a nice app (CuteFTP) in another OS.

I installed ftp with apt-get.
I logged in to my ISP's ftp port.
I entered my username and password.
I got the ftp prompt and changed into the destination directory,
which I thoughtfully had created ahead of time.

I then attempted to upload a bunch of files with mput and a
wild card, e.g., "mput /path/file*.*" Whereupon I was told that
I hadn't named my destination file.  So I tried again with
"mput /path/file*.* file*.*" It asked whether I really wanted
to do that, and I naively said yes.  This made mput insanely happy,
with the result that a file was uploaded and named, "file*.*" Just
one file.  Not the name I wanted, and not the whole list.

Do I really have to name each file specifically and one at a time,
or is there a way to upload a whole directory's worth of files
and end up with the same set of files at both destination and source ?

George