John Sladek on 15 Jun 2006 22:41:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Uploading files to a remote website with ftp

Hi Greg,

Not sure how much ftping you are doing but I usually make sure that I am in the directory on my pc that either have the files I am going to put or it is the location for the files that I want to get, then once I ftp to the remote computer I change into the directory I am get-ting from or put-ing to and then just use the commands as simple as they can be used.

put filename
get filename

As someone mentioned, the "prompt" command is nice if you are using mput or mget, it tells the ftp program that you dont want to say yes to every file being transferred. Also the "bin" command is good to use if you are sending pictures to a webserver sometimes they get messed up in the transfer. Might only be on a windows webserver but I usually issue it out of habit.

I also second the gftp. It's nice and easy to use and if you like cuteFTP you should do fine with it.

Just my 2cents,
John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Lopp" <lopp@pobox.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:52 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Uploading files to a remote website with ftp

George Langford wrote:
Here again I find myself struggling with a linux application
when I'd gotten used to a nice app (CuteFTP) in another OS.

I installed ftp with apt-get.
I logged in to my ISP's ftp port.
I entered my username and password.
I got the ftp prompt and changed into the destination directory,
which I thoughtfully had created ahead of time.

I then attempted to upload a bunch of files with mput and a
wild card, e.g., "mput /path/file*.*" Whereupon I was told that
I hadn't named my destination file.
what happens here if, rather than "mput /path/file*.*", you say "cd path" and "mput file*.*" ?

I ask because it may be trying to put the file "path/file1", when no "path" sub exists.
Can you provide us with the exact text of the commands and errors up to this point?
Do I really have to name each file specifically and one at a time,
or is there a way to upload a whole directory's worth of files
and end up with the same set of files at both destination and source ?

What you are trying to do should be possible. You should not have to name each file (what would be the point of mput otherwise). There's probably just some small detail that's out of whack.