Tom Diehl on 21 Jun 2006 18:16:29 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Linux Finance Programs

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:02:06 -0400 Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:

No question that GNUCash is more powerful, has better business functionality
and a really poor interface.

I prefer kmymoney2 (http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net) for personal finance.
Much better interface.  Requires KDE.  Added bonus: developers monitor and
are active and responsive in the users mail list.  Like GNUCash, the custom
reporting is weak compared to the Intuit packages.

There are some commercial Linux packages that I haven't tried, but may be
worth a look.  At least one has a trial version.

For business, I'd look at running Quickbooks under Crossover Office.  For
personal, as I only use as a checkbook register, kmymoney2 is nice.

Why support a closed and broken program like quickbooks, when you have good open source programs available?

For business, sql-ledger works quite well. It has a pretty stiff learning
curve if you are not used to double entry accouting but it works well and
easially supports multiple users.

http://sql-ledger.org for more info.

Regards,

Tom