K.S. Bhaskar on 21 Jun 2006 19:07:00 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Sources for a Microsoft tax free laptop

I ended up purchasing a Pangolin from System 76
(http://www.system76.com).  I placed the order on the web on a weekend
and received an immediate automated acknowledgement followed by a
confirmation on Monday.  They sent an e-mail when it shipped (ahead of
when they anticipated shipping) and sent me a DHL tracking number.  It
arrived ahead of when it was supposed to arrive, and so far has been
reasonable.  I have not yet put it through its paces.

The only wrinkle was an eccentric disk partitioning that I will fix -
/ was mounted on /dev/hda1.  There was a small extended partition, and
it was entirely filled with the swap partition.  But I will take care
of it when I configure the machine.  I always set up two root
partitions, both pointing to the same home partition, so that if I
screw one up, I still have the other.

Bottom line is that it was a reasonble machine at a reasonable price.
The company was easy to deal with, and I didn't pay a tax for any
software I wouldn't use.

-- Bhaskar