jazzman on 25 Jun 2006 22:39:31 -0000

[PLUG] Slow Netatalk

I just upgraded my file server to FC5 (after a failed YUM attempt). I did
a clean install, part of which was installing NetaTalk, since one user in
my house has an iMac (OS9).

It all seems to work fine EXCEPT for the fact that attempting to connect
to an appletalk share on the linux box takes FOREVER. Once it's connected
it seems to be ok, but connecting is painfully slow. If I do it through
the MAC chooser, then when it starts trying to connect to the server I
found that if I immediately hit cancel I get the message "Falling back to
appletalk", and then I get the authentication dialog and can log in. What
else would it be trying to connect with? I'm assuming this is a problem
with netatalk because I did not have this problem with previous versions
of fedora/netatalk.

Any mac/netatalk familiar folks here that can help me out?

Thanks
Marc