Douglas Muth on 26 Jun 2006 18:22:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] KDE apps make slow internet connections

On 6/26/06, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:

> > Like I said, the problem does not seem to be data transfer speed, but > > delays initiating connection with the host. > > Ping a host by name, then ping the host by IP. Paste the results. I'm > guessing that name resolution is a problem.

I don't think we're going to be able to see if name resolution is a problem via ping. My understanding is that name resolution is performed ONCE, when ping is started, then the IP is pinged from there on out. So, even if there were a name resolution issue, there would be a delay before the first ICMP echo packet is sent, which would not have any effect on the roundtrip times.

That being said, those are rather high ping times.  Are you sure that
your network connection is not saturated?  Can you paste a traceroute
to Google?

-- Doug