Stephen Gran on 26 Jun 2006 18:31:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] KDE apps make slow internet connections

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 02:21:38PM -0400, Douglas Muth said:

> >> Ping a host by name, then ping the host by IP.  Paste the results.  I'm
> >> guessing that name resolution is a problem.
>
> I don't think we're going to be able to see if name resolution is a
> problem via ping.  My understanding is that name resolution is
> performed ONCE, when ping is started, then the IP is pinged from there
> on out.  So, even if there were a name resolution issue, there would
> be a delay before the first ICMP echo packet is sent, which would not
> have any effect on the roundtrip times.

This is not strictly accurate.  It is for ping -n $hostname, but ping
(without the -n) does a PTR query for each packet to display the rDNS of
the host you're pinging.
|  Stephen Gran                  | "Never give in.  Never give in.  Never. |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | Never. Never." -- Winston Churchill     |