Darian Anthony Patrick on 30 Jun 2006 15:38:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] I need to control a Windows machine from Linux...

George,

You could use ActivePerl with COM/OLE.  Driving IE using COM from Perl
is pretty simple and fun.  This could be invoked via SSH into the
Windows machine.

Darian

George Gallen wrote:
> Sounds worse than it what I need.
>
> Here's what I need to do.
>
> 1. Create an HTML/javascript page on our Linux machine,
>        then write that page onto on of our windows machine.   (check, done)
>
> 2. Tell the windows machine to launch IE with this internal C:\ URL
>
> 3. Tell IE to print the HTML document (which would create a file)
>
> 4. Read the file created back into linix (check, done)
>
> 5. wrap it and sent it to a choice of printers (check, done).
>
> It's steps 2 & 3 that I'm looking for a program to do.
>
> Basically, I have an HTML page that loads up a bunch of images and text
> associated with the images. It is formatted so when the print is made, each
> printed page contains two of the images vertically. I'm using IE
> specifically
> because I'm utilizing the image manipulation styles (DXImageTransform).
> and it's ability to render an HTML page into a printed page. Then I want to
> send that printed page(s) to specific printer, which could be in the
> building
> or it could remote anywhere on the internet.
>
> What I'm looking for is a way to tell Windows (XP in this case) to
> launch IE and URL
> (the HTML as an OnLoad command to document.print(); so I don't need to
> click print)
> But I will need to tell IE "print" when the "print..." box comes up. The
> default printer
> on this machine will send to a print file and not an actual printer.
>
> Are there any Public domain programs (win) that I can do this with?
>

> *George Gallen*
> Senior Programmer/Analyst
> Accounting/Data Division
> ggallen@slackinc.com
> ph:856.848.1000 Ext 220
>
> *SLACK Incorporated* -/ Delivering the best in health care information
> and education worldwide./
> _http://www.slackinc.com_

- --
Darian Anthony Patrick <dapatrick@darianpatrick.com>