Toby DiPasquale on 5 Jul 2006 15:00:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Debian Networking

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 10:38:42AM -0400, Aaron Crosman wrote:
> I'm trying to sort out a networking problem, and I can't seem to find
> the right combination of search terms to get me anything helpful.
>
> For some reason the network interface does not come up on boot.  Once
> the server is up a simple ifup eth0 will do the trick, but for some
> reason it's not there on boot.  I've been over all the basic advice
> (that starting with something like "Usually this problem is..."), but
> it's gotten me no where.  So I'm looking for a suggestion about where to
> look when it's NOT the usual problem (most people seem to think that the
> /network/interfaces file is missing/wrong).

Check /etc/network/interfaces and make sure that eth0 is listed as "auto".
You should see a line like this:

auto eth0

If not, then that's why its not coming up. If you see an auto line with
eth0 in it, then there's some sort of problem and you should check dmesg
and /var/log/messages for more specifics on why your interface is failing
to come up.

--
Toby DiPasquale