Stephen Gran on 5 Jul 2006 15:02:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Debian Networking

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 10:38:42AM -0400, Aaron Crosman said:
> I'm trying to sort out a networking problem, and I can't seem to find
> the right combination of search terms to get me anything helpful.
>
> For some reason the network interface does not come up on boot.  Once
> the server is up a simple ifup eth0 will do the trick, but for some
> reason it's not there on boot.  I've been over all the basic advice
> (that starting with something like "Usually this problem is..."), but
> it's gotten me no where.  So I'm looking for a suggestion about where to
> look when it's NOT the usual problem (most people seem to think that the
> /network/interfaces file is missing/wrong).

I can imagine 2 problems:

You are not loading the kernel module for your NIC before trying to
bring it up (you will see SIOC messages with 'no such device' if this is
the case)

/etc/network/interfaces does not have
auto eth0

in it.

But you assure me it is not the second case, so I suggest you add the
module name to /etc/modules and see how it goes.

Take care,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Innocence ends when one is stripped of  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | the delusion that one likes oneself.    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | -- Joan Didion, "On Self Respect"       |