Jon Nelson on 14 Jul 2006 14:26:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Udev=no wireless?

Stephen Gran said:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 08:34:46AM -0400, Jeff Watson said:
>> I recently upgraded udev on my system and immediately thereafter, my
>> wireless card ceased to exist. I tried removing all associated modules
>> (ieee802, ipw2200..etc) and modprobing them all over again, restarting
>> /etc/init.d/net.eth1, it keeps telling me that the device does not exist
>> :-/
>> so i haven't been able to revert udev yet i was just wondering if anyone
>> else had such a problem with udev like this before. I will try reverting
>> udev, updating my firmware and recompiling the modules this evening, I
>> don't
>> really know what else to do about it.
>
> There is a feature in newer version of udev that attempts to manage
> interfaces statically (i.e., make sure they always wind up with the same
> name, regardless of what order they are probed or loaded).  This may be
> malfunctioning for you.  I suggest looking around in /etc/udev/rules for
> something like persistent-net.  Good luck,

I had a similar problem and to fix it I had to write udev rules to create
persistent names for my interfaces. Here is my /etc/udev/ethernet.rules:

   KERNEL="eth*", SYSFS{address}="00:08:74:92:9c:69", NAME="ethZero"
   KERNEL="eth*", SYSFS{address}="00:07:e9:12:50:f1", NAME="ethOne"

The MAC addresses have to use lowercase letters or udev can't find them.
Then create a symlink to the file in /etc/udev/rules.d/ like:

   ln -s /etc/udev/ethernet.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/030_ethernet.rules

Then you have to edit /etc/network/interfaces to reflect the interface
name changes. Some other places that might need editing are your
SambaServer and firewall configuration files. Then a reboot and you should
be up and running.