gyoza on 19 Jul 2006 17:31:14 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Upgraded from Breezy to Dapper

Art Alexion wrote:
On Wednesday 19 July 2006 01:15, gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
Well, my success is 50% now. I upgraded my test PC and it was fine. I
upgraded my brother's PC and now X won't start.

Yeah. There are a lot of problems with this discussed on the Kubuntu list. Reasons like this that I am reluctant to upgrade a system that is functioning fine.

I believe this has been traced to NVIDIA drivers, but after searching my folder for that list, I can't find out for sure.
True, true. He has an nVIDIA nForce2 chipset and uses the onboard video. Maybe just installing nVIDIA's driver it would work. But since he doesn't really save much on his drive, I will just do a fresh install of 6.06.

BTW, I didn't like the installer. The drive partitioning dialog box was extremely long; maybe four screens wide! It was slower and not as easy to work with compared to the utility in the usual installer.

Now that 6.06 is installed and running on my computer, it is nice. I noticed some mystery pauses using Adept, but I got through it.