PaulNM on 19 Jul 2006 19:35:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Comcast Redirecting Wireless connections?

Steve Morgan wrote:
> When you hook up a device to the cable modem, the cable modem locks in to
> that device's MAC address.  When you change the device connected to the
> cable modem, you can simply turn off, then turn back on the cable modem and
> it will lock on to the new device's MAC.
>
> Steve Morgan

I second this, anytime you change the device that is connected to the
cable modem:

1: Connect data cables
2: Power on the modem, when it is completely back up..
3: Turn on whatever is connected to the modem

The modems do work off the MAC id.

I would also suggest, if you're still getting those dns servers which
point to the Comcast download page, and your router is setup for dynamic
(get info from modem through dhcp), then contact Comcast.  There may be
something going on with your account. While you can currently surf,
other things like email may be affected, plus the surfing situation
could change.  Only new or discontinued modem should be getting that page.

If you call Comcast, it would be a good idea to have the modem's mac and
serial number handy as they may need that.

PaulNM