Art Alexion on 20 Jul 2006 13:43:35 -0000

[PLUG] Re: OT: amarok vs. iTunes [solved]

If anyone is interested, here is how I solved this.

Amarok 1.4 handles iPods completely differently than earlier versions and
detects space left on smaller devices, like the Shuffle.  A script called
TransKode handles on-the-fly conversions of flac and ogg to m4a (or aac or
mp3) when transferring songs to the iPod.

Get transKode at http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=27512

On Tuesday 18 July 2006 10:36, Art Alexion wrote:
> I have an iPod Shuffle (512 MB).
>
> I prefer the way that amarok manages my library, but am concerned about the
> way that amarok 1.3.x handled the limited space on my Shuffle.  It didn't
> seem to detect the available space, and the transfer process crashed when
> the limit was exceeded.  I killed a Shuffle irretrievably by trying gtkpod
> which was supposed to handle this better.  I now have 1.4.x, and am led to
> believe this problem was addressed.  Anyone have any experience with this?
>
> I tried using iTunes over SMB, but am really disappointed with the way
> iTunes does not seem to handle changes to the Library.  That is, if I add
> or rename files, amarok periodically scans for such changes and updates the
> library dynamically.  With iTunes, every addition or change has to be
> handled manually (typical of commercial software, it thinks it is the only
> music management system).
>
> That said, iTunes does a great job of loading tunes onto the Shuffle.  Does
> anyone know of a way to get iTunes to detect changes to a directory and
> update its library?
>
> Ancillary question:  I installed a plugin for iTunes/Quicktime to play ogg
> files.  When loading the iPod, it dynamically converts the ogg to aac,
> necessary for playing on the iPod.  Does anyone know of a similar plugin
> for amarok? (ogg to mp3 would play on the iPod also.)

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.
Info @