Art Alexion on 18 Jul 2006 14:36:56 -0000

[PLUG] OT: amarok vs. iTunes

I have an iPod Shuffle (512 MB).

I prefer the way that amarok manages my library, but am concerned about the
way that amarok 1.3.x handled the limited space on my Shuffle.  It didn't
seem to detect the available space, and the transfer process crashed when the
limit was exceeded.  I killed a Shuffle irretrievably by trying gtkpod which
was supposed to handle this better.  I now have 1.4.x, and am led to believe
this problem was addressed.  Anyone have any experience with this?

I tried using iTunes over SMB, but am really disappointed with the way iTunes
does not seem to handle changes to the Library.  That is, if I add or rename
files, amarok periodically scans for such changes and updates the library
dynamically.  With iTunes, every addition or change has to be handled
manually (typical of commercial software, it thinks it is the only music
management system).

That said, iTunes does a great job of loading tunes onto the Shuffle.  Does
anyone know of a way to get iTunes to detect changes to a directory and
update its library?

Ancillary question:  I installed a plugin for iTunes/Quicktime to play ogg
files.  When loading the iPod, it dynamically converts the ogg to aac,
necessary for playing on the iPod.  Does anyone know of a similar plugin for
amarok? (ogg to mp3 would play on the iPod also.)

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.
Info @