Matt Ayres on 22 Jul 2006 16:51:56 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Verizon FIOS..Any thoughts?

Douglas Muth wrote:
From what I
understand from someone who works with Verizon since it is fiber it is
run in rings meaning even if a tree knocks out the line service is not
interrupted. It is also glass so animals will not chew it.

Never underestimate the power of a backhoe.

That reminds me of the sysadmins two natural enemies.

1. The user.
2. The backhoe.

Like I said though, fiber is always run in rings (think: token ring) so even if a backhoe cuts the fiber 100ft from me I'll just go around the other side of the ring. I'm not entirely sure how Verizon is going to do this in some areas, but I know where we are located it appears we're on the cusp of 2 rings so I'm feeling pretty safe :) Of course Comcast business is kept as a backup. I was going to attempt to do "poor mans" load balancing, but the FIOS beats it hands down. Now it's working in a primary/secondary config.

Regards,
Matt