Mike Leone on 8 Aug 2006 01:07:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Getting kaffeine to play AVI file shared from Windows, in Konqueror?

Art Alexion wrote:
On Saturday 05 August 2006 21:48, Mike Leone wrote:
kubunto 6.06 ("breezy")

I've got a whole bunch of AVI files. I'm trying to play these from a
Windows share, from within Konqueror, browsing to my Windows share. By
default, it's set up to use kaffeine. But trying to play from a file list
shown in Konqueror just complains of unknown plugins.

xine error - Kaffeine player
No plugin found to handle this resource

Here's the part I'm not understanding .. if I copy a file locally, and
manually start kaffeine, it plays just fine.

So apparently kaffeine is a front end to xine. But kaffeine started from
the menu, plays my AVI (albeit locally).  So you'd think it would play, in
konqueror, from a remote file list.

My web searching has come up with nothing useful or working.

Anyone?

A lot of kde programs choke on files opened via smb:/share_name/file. Mount the share and your problems disappear. (Also good for non-KDE programs like OpenOffice.)

How ... non-suprising. :-) Now, if I could just figure out why the command line mount doesn't work, but browsing via konqueror does ...

mount -t smbfs //main-station/Videos /mnt/Videos -o username=turgon,password=*******
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //main-station/Videos,
missing codepage or other error
dmesg | tail or so

Hmm .. no "smbfs" package installed; a curios oversight, one would think .... a quick aptitude, and I'm in business.

Yeah, that works, but means I'll have to create mount points for any share I want to execute remotely (videos, sound, etc). Not exactly friendly, but I suppose it's a one time process ...

Thanks.