Art Alexion on 7 Aug 2006 15:34:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Getting kaffeine to play AVI file shared from Windows, in Konqueror?

On Saturday 05 August 2006 21:48, Mike Leone wrote:
> kubunto 6.06 ("breezy")
>
> I've got a whole bunch of AVI files. I'm trying to play these from a
> Windows share, from within Konqueror, browsing to my Windows share. By
> default, it's set up to use kaffeine. But trying to play from a file list
> shown in Konqueror just complains of unknown plugins.
>
> xine error - Kaffeine player
> No plugin found to handle this resource
>
> Here's the part I'm not understanding .. if I copy a file locally, and
> manually start kaffeine, it plays just fine.
>
> So apparently kaffeine is a front end to xine. But kaffeine started from
> the menu, plays my AVI (albeit locally).  So you'd think it would play, in
> konqueror, from a remote file list.
>
> My web searching has come up with nothing useful or working.
>
> Anyone?

A lot of kde programs choke on files opened via smb:/share_name/file.  Mount
the share and your problems disappear.  (Also good for non-KDE programs like
OpenOffice.)

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.