Art Alexion on 7 Aug 2006 15:34:17 -0000

Re: [PLUG] video players

On Saturday 05 August 2006 18:46, Mike Leone wrote:
> Gabriel Farrell wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 11:53:48PM -0400, Mike Leone wrote:
> >> I figured that since I had kubuntu going, I'd try and watch some AVI
> >> files across my LAN. Nope; no DivX codec. No binary that I could find
> >> (well, nothing official). Installed the w32codecs package, which is
> >> supposed to contain it; still won't play. (and not sure if I chose the
> >> right debian-multimedia.org repository, since mplayer installation
> >> complained of many broken packages, when I thought I'd install that
> >> (which should play anything under Linux).
> >
> > You might want to try VLC for video under linux, it's quite good.
>
> Doesn't automatically work with the videos I'm trying to watch; doesn't
> have the right codec.

If you are using kaffiene, try changing the engine (xine, kaffiene.part,
kaboodle.part).  Sometimes one works when the other doesn't.

VLC on kubuntu seems to be broken.  Audio but no video for any files.

aviplay seems to work well if you are into minimal and only avi files.

my copy of mplayer installs and plays just about anything, but the sound plays
faster than the video.  and the gnome interface stinks.  To get it to work,
add the following repositories

# Cipherfunk multimedia packages (packages)
deb ftp://cipherfunk.org/pub/packages/ubuntu/ breezy main

# Cipherfunk multimedia packages (sources)
deb-src ftp://cipherfunk.org/pub/packages/ubuntu breezy main

deb http://archive.czessi.net/ubuntu breezy main restricted universe
multiverse

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC