Stephen Gran on 8 Aug 2006 20:13:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Recommendations for T1 cards for Linux router

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 01:36:37PM -0400, Tom Diehl said:
> Pat Regan <thehead@patshead.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi everyone,
> >
> >I am currently shopping around for a pair of single port T1 cards to put
> >at opposite ends of a point to point T1.  Googling has not quite failed
> >me, but this time it hasn't provided me with as much information as I
> >would like.
> >
> >So far the best option I have found are Sangoma cards, specifically the
> >> A101.  Does anyone know if these are worth using?  Or if there is a
> >better alternative I haven't found yet?
> >
> >I am hoping for single port cards that doesn't require an external CSU/DSU.
>
> I have used Sangoma cards in the past for exactly this application and found
> them to perform well. The cards we used were ISA cards, so I do not have any
> experience with the A101.

I have to second the sangoma recommendation.  I use one in the UK for
an adsl line, and I use one at work for a T1 line, and they both work
very nicely.  I have 2 complaints: they log too much, and they aren't
really open source drivers.  Those may not matter that much to you (they
didn't stop from using two of these cards, you'll note) but I thought
I'd mention it.  There really is no competition, though.

> A really nice thing about Sangoma was that you could speak directly to the
> developer if you needed support and the guy who answered the phone did not
> know the answer. He knew all of the little things the driver could do and
> how
> to get them to do it. He was also very good at pointing out my mistakes. :-)

That's good to know - I'll tuck it away for if I ever need it.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Much of the excitement we get out of    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | our work is that we don't really know   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | what we are doing.   -- E. Dijkstra     |