sean finney on 30 Aug 2006 13:33:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] saving audio streams

hey art,

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 09:19 -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> Nothing in the man page for kaffiene nor xine-lib.  My friend, google, is a
> bit stand-off-ish on this one.  I could also use totem, mplayer, xmms, xine
> or anything else anyone can suggest.

a lot depends on the stream in question.  if you're grabbing a standard
mp3 stream, even a simple wget command may work for you.  if you're
grabbing something using one of the many non-http streaming protocols,
my first bet would be to try xmms.  xmms has a "wav output" audio driver
iirc, so you could just open the url after setting the right audio
output settings.

if it's a really exotic stream (maybe mms?) you could try mplayer, which
has a -streamdump or -dumpfile or something like that (i'm sure r'ing
tfm will find it) which will do exactly what you might think.

	sean