Art Alexion on 30 Aug 2006 15:03:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] saving audio streams

On Wednesday 30 August 2006 09:33, you wrote:
> hey art,
>
> On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 09:19 -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> > Nothing in the man page for kaffiene nor xine-lib.  My friend, google, is
> > a bit stand-off-ish on this one.  I could also use totem, mplayer, xmms,
> > xine or anything else anyone can suggest.
>
> a lot depends on the stream in question.  if you're grabbing a standard
> mp3 stream, even a simple wget command may work for you.  if you're
> grabbing something using one of the many non-http streaming protocols,
> my first bet would be to try xmms.  xmms has a "wav output" audio driver
> iirc, so you could just open the url after setting the right audio
> output settings.
>
> if it's a really exotic stream (maybe mms?) you could try mplayer, which
> has a -streamdump or -dumpfile or something like that (i'm sure r'ing
> tfm will find it) which will do exactly what you might think.

Nothing exotic.  http/mp3 stream.

mplayer -dumpstream http://live.wnur.org:8092/listen.pls

seems to do the trick.  Using the -dumpstream option, you don't get any output
to your sound, but it seems like you can run another player (I tried noatun)
simultaneously to monitor what you are saving.

The -dumpstream option creates a file called stream.dump in '.'  It is not
documented in mplayer --help, but can be found in man mplayer.

Thanks, again, Sean.

BTW, if there are any jazz fans out there,
http://live.wnur.org:8092/listen.pls is hosting a promising live duet around
11 AM CDT.

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC