Mark M. Hoffman on 9 Sep 2006 18:47:00 -0000

[PLUG] Wiring a house (was Re: Ethernet Cable Specs)

Hi everyone:

* Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net> [2006-08-31 15:50:28 +0100]:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat5e

On a related note: I'm going to pull network cable in my house soon.  I'm
no network engineer... so I'm looking for advice.  I found the link above
to lead to some other good sites.

* Recommendations for equipment: patch panels, wall jacks, etc.  So far,
I've been browsing through the Leviton lineup. [1]  I would prefer *not*
to buy a 19" rack.  Surface mounted on a wall in the basement is fine.

* Tools: punchdown, network tester, etc.  Buy, borrow, or rent?  I read
that there are two different styles of punchdown.  Anyone have a preference?

* Cable: Is there any benefit to using STP instead of UTP?  Is there any
downside?  Some of my long pulls will run parallel to 110V/AC power; it
can't be helped.

Basically, if you have any advice to give to someone about to pull
network cable for the first time... I'd like to hear it.

[1] http://www.leviton-lin.com/

Thanks & regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman