tom . hornberger on 15 Sep 2006 02:47:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] linux-friendly router with printserver?

On Thursday 14 September 2006 19:58, Chad Vogelsong wrote:
> You may want to consider just getting a generic router / firewall.  We use
> the Netgear VPN Firewall FVS114 at work and distribute them to our
> employees for home VPN connections.  I think they were around $70 each, but
> if you don't need VPN, you can go as low as $40 - $50 for a decent FW /
> Router.
>
> You definitely don't need to run the Windows setup utility for the FVS114.
> Just plug it in, get a DHCP address, and connect with a web browser.
>
> For your print server, you can use the Hawking HPS1P (parallel) or HPS1U
> (usb). They run about $50 - $55.  Of course they come with a Windows only
> print server manager, but you can use this perl script to configure them
> also.
>
> http://www.unixwiz.net/tools/hpsutil.html
>
> I helped add some options to it, so I know it works.
>
> Chad
>
> Bob Heise wrote:
> > torsdag 14 september 2006 12:58 skrev Greg Helledy:
> >> I have my linux desktop connected to a little old PC which acts as a
> >> firewall, dialup gateway, and printserver.  It runs linux (SME Server
> >> 6.0).  The printserver is set up in raw mode (the print driver is on the
> >> desktop).
> >>
> >> I am sick of dialup and decided to try Verizon's $15 DSL.  However, my
> >> firewall PC has only one PCI slot and will require 2 network cards for
> >> DSL.
> >
> > If you need one I'm sure I have an ISA network card around here you could
> > have ;), though from reading on I'm guessing that's not the solution
> > you're after.
> >
> >> I am thinking of ditching the firewall PC altogether and replacing it
> >> with a router, but want to keep the printserver capability.  Of course
> >> these are available but some seem to require windows-only software
> >> installed on the client machine.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have a recommendation for a combined router/printserver,
> >> that doesn't require windows, and handles parallel port printers as well
> >> as USB, and is wired?  Like this:
> >> http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-FR114P-Firewall-Router-Server/dp/B00006B9H
> >
> > Hmm, I don't see any mention of USB on the technical details page. Then
> > again it _does_ have "Smart Wizard and Install Assistant for basic
> > parabeter[sic] settings", oh boy parabeters!
> >
> >> It's $80 on amazon.  Is this what I should be looking to spend?
> >>
> >> Greg Helledy
> >
> > -Bob Heise
I have an SMC 7004ABR router that I'm not using.   It has a built in print
server (lpd).  I never had problems using it with Linux.  Unfortunately it
runs VxWorks (I think), so it isn't too hackable.  I also have some HP
Jetdirect EX Plus 10BT print servers.  If you're interested email me.