Eric Hidle on 15 Sep 2006 13:53:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Speaking of VPN [WAS: linux-friendly router with printserver?]

Speaking of VPN, this NetGear device smells a little bit like I could install them in a bunch of places and create a secure private network. Is this to say that I could, for example, put one at my house, one at my parents' place, and one, say, in my friend's house, and have all of our internal machines accessible to each other over the VPN?

This is something I've been wanting to do for a while with cheap COTS stuff rather than having a linux box at each place.

Chad Vogelsong wrote:
You may want to consider just getting a generic router / firewall. We use the Netgear VPN Firewall FVS114 at work and distribute them to our employees for home VPN connections. I think they were around $70 each, but if you don't need VPN, you can go as low as $40 - $50 for a decent FW / Router.

You definitely don't need to run the Windows setup utility for the FVS114. Just plug it in, get a DHCP address, and connect with a web browser.

For your print server, you can use the Hawking HPS1P (parallel) or HPS1U (usb). They run about $50 - $55. Of course they come with a Windows only print server manager, but you can use this perl script to configure them also.

http://www.unixwiz.net/tools/hpsutil.html

I helped add some options to it, so I know it works.

Chad