Isaac Bennetch on 15 Sep 2006 14:47:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Speaking of VPN [WAS: linux-friendly router with printserver?]

Greetings,

...create a secure private network...
This is something I've been wanting to do for a while with
cheap COTS stuff rather than having a linux box at
each place.

You might want to look at Hamachi (http://www.hamachi.cc/) -- it's software-based, so you'll need their program on each machine you need on the VPN. It also depends on their servers, though as I recall that's just how the connection is established and your actual traffic goes directly between hosts (though I'm not 100% sure of that, only going by memory of what I've read elsewhere). So obviously for high-security situations it may not be that desirable, for for a few friends and family to share photos or whatever it seems to work pretty well.

There are clients for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Not sure if this is what you're after but perhaps it will help someone.
~isaac