Toby DiPasquale on 18 Sep 2006 23:45:00 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Sorry if this is OT but... Google Steals!

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 01:57:11PM -0400, John Von Essen wrote:
> So a few things can occur, you click the link, hit google, then hit the
> stop button in your browser. This can happen, and I accept it, but there
> is no way that 50% of the people that click ads are hitting STOP in that
> millesecond windows to stop the redurect.

Or... the "clicker" is a piece of software that's not following 302
redirects.

If you're going to do business with Google, the unforunate truth is that
you must be prepared for weirdness. They are notoriously close-mouthed
about the calculation process and don't seem to have a handle on the real
issue, click fraud. This doesn't mean they are "stealing", it just means
that their algorithms aren't perfect. I am not defending them (indeed, it
would seem to me as if they haven't done enough to combat click fraud as
it clearly increases their bottom line), but from their perspective,
what's the difference between 6 and 14 clicks at $0.05 per click?

--
Toby DiPasquale