Lee Marzke on 21 Sep 2006 14:54:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ...nix backup for windows

Ron,

You didn't mention if Veritas uses mounted volumes or if it has a local
dæmon running on the Windows side.    Also is Veritas designed to
do bare metal recovery of Windows systems - and thus designed to
backup locked files ?

If the system can't read locked files,  they wouldn't be backed up or
would be corrupted during the backup.

I think you would be able to run a program on the UNIX server to
verify the integrity of the backed up file ( assuming it's not 0 size )
and determine if the problem occurred during backup, or is occurring
during restore.  If it's a tar.gz file,   tar -tzf  filename.tar.gz  would
test it.

Looking at the Netbackup datasheet:
http://eval.veritas.com/mktginfo/products/Sales_Docs/Data_Protection/nbu_6_0_ent_server_dsht.pdf

Looks like the "Advanced Client" supports snapshot backups as an option
and the "Bare Metal Recover" option supports restore to an empty disk.

Many commercial high-end solutions require you to purchase add-ons
to get all the features you may really need,   but again I don't know about
Veritas specifically.

Lee

rekaye1005@verizon.net wrote:
Thanks Leo
I will check out your presentation.

The files not being restored are those in winnt\system32,
which are system files, now under "windows file protection" for version control.
How is a "locked" file manifest on the NIX side?
something beyond the ugo permissions?

ron