Randy Schmidt on 22 Sep 2006 01:59:09 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu + RAID5

I'm wondering if I am building the driver correctly. Here is the part
of the instructions I had a hard time following and tried a few things
until the driver compiled:

" If you are using stock kernel, obtain the configuration in your
Linux distribution (e.g. the kernel configuration file for Red Hat
stock kernel can be found under "configs" directory in kernel source
tree). Copy the configuration file to <your-kernel-source-dir>/.config
and setup the kernel headers using "make oldconfig" and "make dep"(not
necessary in the 2.6 kernel) commands before you build the driver."

so I have the following in /usr/src/

*linux-source-2.6.15
*linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386

I copied /boot/config-2.6.15-23-386 to /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15/.config

It says to then setup the kernel headers using "make oldconfig" so I
went into /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386 and issued that
command. I didn't get any errors so I went to my driver source and
compiled that without errors.

Did I follow those directions correctly?

Amul: I'll try that once I get the filesystem created...thanks for the input!

Thanks!
Randy

On 9/20/06, TuskenTower <tuskentower@gmail.com> wrote:
On 9/20/06, Randy Schmidt <x@altorg.com> wrote:
> 2. When I "sudo insmod hpt374.ko" to insert the module, it works, but
> when I restart it isn't there. There has to be a way that I insert it
> permanently but I haven't figured it out. Does anybody know?

Most likely, your driver is not in your initrd.  Edit you /etc/modules
file and add the driver.  Re-run mkinitrd in /boot (it _should_
default to /boot).  man mkinitrd before you run it, just so you know
what you'll be doing.

You can check your initrd if you are curious.  I don't have Ubuntu in
front of me, so I don't know if Ubuntu uses CramFS .img or a CPIO
initrd.  Use the command "file" or "file -z" on the initrd to figure
out if its CPIO or CramFS.  From there you can dump the contents to
see if your driver is in there or not.  You can mount a CramFS image
or dump the CPIO file contents with "cpio -ivd FILE"

Anyone know why udev doesn't handle this for him?

HTH
Amul

Randy Schmidt
x@altorg.com