Art Clemons on 24 Sep 2006 22:22:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Confessions of a Virgin

> I'm completely new to Linux and have no programming experience other than a smidgen in HTML.  Just wanted to say that so far I like Ubuntu Linux, but I'm aggravated by the fact that there are many plugins, e.g. Real, WMP, etc. that are missing.  Any suggestions?

First, if you are using Firefox and the like, assuming that you have
either compiled a version of Mplayer along with the requisite codecs or
found one for whichever flavor of Linux you're running, you can install
the mplayer plugin and have firefox deal with most WMV, quicktime and
AVI files.  As someone else suggested, you can also install RealPlayer
for the files normally associated with RealPlayer.  Flash is sometimes
dealt with successfully with the Linux Flash Player (available from
Macromedia) but sadly it's only version 7.0x and there is now content
specifically set for the 8.X version which has not yet been produced for
the Linux market.

Let me note that you can also use things like Xine or Totem to deal with
WMV and AVIs if you wish, I've had less success with them associated
with browsers but YMMV.

Adobe Acrobat files (like PDF) can be dealt with either by downloading
and installing the latest Acrobat Reader for Linux, or using some
already installed program like Kghostview, XPDF or GV to deal with them.