Randy Schmidt on 24 Sep 2006 22:43:45 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu + RAID5

I think I got it straightened out so I wanted to kind of sum up what I
found. I decided to not use hardware raid since the card I had didn't
really give me the benefits of hardware raid. I also think that the
slow I/O I was experiencing was that there was an existing module
hpt366 that was interferering with the one I was trying to build and
insert, hpt374.

I found this article:

http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/raid-lvm.php

that filled in some of the issues I was having with mdadm. The
problems I was having before were entirely my fault...I didn't wait
long enough for the raid to set itself up. This time around, I created
the raid then checked on it with "cat /proc/mdstat" which showed that
the raid was "clean, degraded, recovering" which what I think was the
parity getting built? I waited until all drives were up and running
and set up LVM. now, when I restarted, everything was still there and
everything was working!

I'm so releived it's working! I had been working on it off and on for
a month or so. There is only one other question I have. What happens
if the drive I have linux installed on takes a crap? Is it just a
matter of setting up the raid again and it will all work and my data
will be intact?

Thanks again for all of your help!
Randy Schmidt

On 9/22/06, Will Dyson <will.dyson@gmail.com> wrote:
On 9/22/06, Randy Schmidt <x@altorg.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info! I was seeing hints that I wasn't really getting
> the benefits of hardware raid with the 1640 but didn't really
> understand why. They even tell you on the website that if you want to
> do RAID 5, to go with a different controller.

I think that is because the other controller has a PCI-X interface,
which is much faster than regular PCI. The extra bandwidth between CPU
and card is very helpful when doing software-based raid-5.

> When I tried software raid before, I generated the mdadm.conf spitting
> out the result of some command into the file (I can't remember exactly
> what I did, but that's the gist). I think I was even able to restart
> the raid using that file so that shouldn't be the problem, right?

Hmm. You'd think. There is a setting for mdadm to auto-start or not.
This can be adjusted by running 'dpkg-reconfigure mdadm'.

--
Will Dyson

Randy Schmidt
x@altorg.com