Will Dyson on 22 Sep 2006 22:35:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu + RAID5

On 9/22/06, Randy Schmidt <x@altorg.com> wrote:
Thanks for the info! I was seeing hints that I wasn't really getting
the benefits of hardware raid with the 1640 but didn't really
understand why. They even tell you on the website that if you want to
do RAID 5, to go with a different controller.

I think that is because the other controller has a PCI-X interface, which is much faster than regular PCI. The extra bandwidth between CPU and card is very helpful when doing software-based raid-5.

When I tried software raid before, I generated the mdadm.conf spitting
out the result of some command into the file (I can't remember exactly
what I did, but that's the gist). I think I was even able to restart
the raid using that file so that shouldn't be the problem, right?

Hmm. You'd think. There is a setting for mdadm to auto-start or not. This can be adjusted by running 'dpkg-reconfigure mdadm'.

--
Will Dyson