Art Alexion on 9 Oct 2006 13:31:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] After dist_upgrade, kubuntu system won't boot

On Sunday 08 October 2006 13:06, sean finney wrote:
> hey art,
>
> > The only boot problem I still detect is that init stalls on HAL
> > initialization.  It complains that it can't create a file because the
> > directory already exists.  I was able to continue booting by pressing
> > ctrl+c and ctrl+d a few times.  Any suggestions here?  I will need to
> > reboot to find out the precise file overwriting problem and whether
> > ctrl+c or d was what did the trick.
>
> you could always try reinstalling that too ("dpkg -S filename" will tell
> you what package "owns" a file, btw).  otherwise, you'll need to post
> more information (logs, error messages, etc) if you want more help.

No boot logs in var?  Do I have to enable this?

Two errors I can see.

mkdir: Cannot create directory `/dev/shm/var.run': file exists
mkdir: Cannot create directory `/dev/shm/var.lock': file exists
rmdiir:  `/dev/shm/var.run': device or resource busy
rmdiir:  `/dev/shm/var.lock': device or resource busy

The next line is
Setting sensor limits   [OK]

Then
Starting Hardware Abstraction Layer hald     ll does not exist [OK]

upon which boot freezes.  Takes a really long time to time out.

When I see it, the next line is that the init script (it went too fast to
read) that launches hal/dbus exited with code 2.

When I run dbus restart it shuts down hald ok, shuts down dbus ok, restarts
dbus ok, and then freezes on restarting hald.  Ctrl+c results in code 1.

I tried reinstalling dbus/hal but now it just takes longer for the boot to
time out and continue.

I noticed that it won't mount my iPod properly when I do this.

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.
Info @