gyoza on 13 Oct 2006 18:55:23 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Alternate Ink Cartridges

tom.hornberger@verizon.net wrote:
On Thursday 12 October 2006 20:39, gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
Has anyone used higher capacity ink cartridges than was specified for a
printer?
Most printers made in the last ~5 years (or so) have chips in the cartridges to ID them to the printer. The larger capacity cartridge probably won't work in a printer it's not "approved" for. The chips can also be used to keep you from refilling the cartridges and in some HP cartridges there is an expiration date that makes buying a lot of them pointless.

It's been 5 years?! I must have kept my last printer for a long time! heh

Since I got a $10 discount on a cartridge, I will experiment and see what happens. I know Epson cartridges can be reset and there is even a software utility that will manipulate the information about the ink levels. Again, I'm not sure if the printer can ID the cartridge or just check the levels. HP is a different story.

After my black ink runs out, I will try a HP 27 in place of the HP 21.