TuskenTower on 13 Oct 2006 18:48:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Myth TV, computer hardware store, and TV

On 10/13/06, Rich G <rgoodwin1@cox.net> wrote:
This is interesting.  I have Cox cable and the HD channels (ATSC) and
the SD channels (NTSC) work fine.  What cable provider do you have?  Did
you use 256QAM?  64QAM? (I forget the nomenclature for these) Cox works
with 256QAM.

Dammit Rcih, read what I wrote! ;)
"If you search the forums, you'll find varying degrees of success
where someone uses the stock tools and everything works and others
like me just end up wasting our time getting frustrated."

I have Comcast out in King of Prussia.  I have the Basic $15/mo +
Internet $42/mo.  the atscscan tool does both QAM 64 and QAM 256.  The
newer tools package from pcHDTV also does QAM 64 and QAM 256 (or at
least that's what it says its doing).  Also, just to annoy everyone
with another set of acronyms, OTA broadcast ATSC is called 8VSB and
over cable the providers use QAM 256, 64 if they are teh cheapos.

I have seen people in forums saying that power supply radiation can
disrupt QAM reception.  People have moved the card away from the video
card and presto, better reception.

On another note, the pcHDTV 5500 does not have those firmware updates
anymore.  I'll give them a try, maybe.  If anyone on this list has
Comcast and buys a pcHDTV 5500 I'm willing to do more with this.
Anyone with any more knowledge about QAM would also be helpful.

Amul