Jeff McAdams on 18 Oct 2006 01:40:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] how to transfer gigabytes without tech support

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> I have 14 GB of data I want to give someone.  He's on MacOS X.  I
> thought to do rsync via ssh, but talking him through certificates and
> terminal things is becoming too painful.  Simple things fail that I
> would see if I were there, but I'm not and his descriptions omit
> little details that he has no way of knowing are critical.

> Next thought, make it available for http.  So I tar it up.  But apache
> refuses to serve a 14 GB tar archive, saying it's too big.  (Weirdly,
> this causes a directory to disappear, too: directory foo/ is visible
> until overly large foo.tar is present, then they both disappear from
> the directory listing that apache generates!)

> Any thoughts on how to do this as simply as possible?

I guess you've already got a solution, but just to through out another
option...

I've not ever done 14GB, but I've done a number of instances of around
700 MB with an acquaintance of mine.

We figured the best way for us to do it was to send the file via
Jabber/XMPP file transfer.  Unfortunately, there are about 4 or 5
Jabber/XMPP file transfer mechanisms available, and you've got to get a
setup that works potentially over NAT connections on both ends.  There
are Jabber/XMPP file transfer mechanisms that will handle that (JEP-65
proxy'ing, for example, will handle it just fine), but some of them will
not.

Hopefully Jabber/XMPP will continue to develop to where file transfers
can be reliably done (Google Talk's Jingle file transfers hold some
promise) without a great deal of painful configuration, but its really
just not there currently...at least not reliably across multiple client
software packages.  :/
--
Jeff McAdams
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."