W. Chris Shank on 18 Oct 2006 03:30:43 -0000

Re: [PLUG] how to transfer gigabytes without tech support

USPO has a nice protocol for this.  3-4 DVDs should do it.

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Abrahamson <jeff@purple.com>
To: PLUG <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 6:50:52 PM GMT-0500
Subject: [PLUG] how to transfer gigabytes without tech support

I have 14 GB of data I want to give someone.  He's on MacOS X.  I
thought to do rsync via ssh, but talking him through certificates and
terminal things is becoming too painful.  Simple things fail that I
would see if I were there, but I'm not and his descriptions omit
little details that he has no way of knowing are critical.

Next thought, make it available for http.  So I tar it up.  But apache
refuses to serve a 14 GB tar archive, saying it's too big.  (Weirdly,
this causes a directory to disappear, too: directory foo/ is visible
until overly large foo.tar is present, then they both disappear from
the directory listing that apache generates!)

Any thoughts on how to do this as simply as possible?

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://jeff.purple.com/>          +1 215/837-2287
 GPG fingerprint: 1A1A BA95 D082 A558 A276  63C6 16BF 8C4C 0D1D AE4B

--
W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC