gyoza on 18 Oct 2006 19:36:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] DSL / telco translation question

Art Alexion wrote:
On Wednesday 18 October 2006 13:59, Dan Widyono wrote:
internal wiring in my house[1]. Rerunning the wire is very difficult,
since it's an old house and the run is rather long.
Tape the new CAT5E or CAT6 to the old wire and pull. It shouldn't be
difficult that way. You might have to poke one or two holes along the way
to help guide, is all.

This will work if the wire isn't stapled to a joist or stud in the wall. But make sure you loop and hook the two wires. If the tape comes apart while pulling, you could lose everything somewhere in the wall.

Another issue is that phone cable might be split off in multiple directions at any point while the Ethernet cable is better off flowing directly from one point to another.

Maybe Ethernet over powerlines /is/ worth looking into.

I'd use a pair of, if necessary, cantenna's or other antenna(s). Eat two cans of bushes baked beans per cantenna and I'll make the cantennas for you. heh Or look at these pre-made antennas. http://www.fab-corp.com/home.php?cat=276