Douglas Muth on 23 Oct 2006 03:33:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] spam abatement with a challenge/response system

On 10/22/06, Eric <eric@lucii.org> wrote:

Ah yes, mailing lists. I would whitelist (in advance) all my current lists emails and other correspondents.
[snip]

That's awesome.  Unfortunately, end users won't be able to figure that
out.  I cite as an example AOL's "spam blocker" feature from the early
2000s.  A significant number of users blocked just about anyone.  I
know this because I would get email from an AOL user, reply, and be
greeted with, "mail is not permitted from this sender". :-(

P.S. Why did you choose Drupal over say Mambo Server or Joomla!  I ask
because I want to use a CMS for a couple of upcoming projects and Drupal

I ran Mambo for a year on my website, from 2004 to 2005. I had some serious issues with it. Such as:

- Documentation was not readily available.  I had to download PDFs.
And those were only half-complete.  Entire sections were missing from
the documentation.

- Simpler plugin architecture. Mambo had "plugins", "extensions", and
"mambots". It was unclear how these were different, and trying to find
a particular item meant you would have to go through 3 different
menus.

- The taxonomy categorization system in Drupal is light years ahead of
Mambo's "section" and "category" system.

- The ability to host multiple sites under the same installation of
Drupal by creating alternate settings files. This is very cool, and I
intend to use this for hosting some of my other sites. I save disk
space and simplify upgrades this way.

- A built-in cron facility so that modules could periodically execute
scheduled jobs, such as database cleanup.

Also in Drupal's favor is some awesome source code.  It's like an
entire collection of best practices for PHP.  I've also had quite a
bit of success at editing said code to fix bugs that I've found.

And Drupal has plenty of modules, see:

http://drupal.org/project/Modules

-- Doug

(P.S. Sorry if I turned this into a pro-Drupal rant :-)