gabriel rosenkoetter on 26 Oct 2006 19:42:36 -0000

Re: [PLUG] spam abatement with a challenge/response system

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 11:13:30PM -0400, Eric wrote:
> Ah yes, mailing lists.  I would whitelist (in advance) all my current
> lists emails and other correspondents.  Also, mapSoN is (allegedly)
> smart enough to recognize if the incoming email is in reply to an email
> that I sent.  In that case, it automatically white-lists the sender.
> Yes, white listing the entire domain is risky... although if it's a
> problem I'm sure I'll find out ASAP.

Okay, so then the spammers who spoof source address as being a
mailing list to which you subscribe get through clean then? Great!

email headers are the wrong thing to trust for spam prevention.

SMTP connections are the right thing to trust for spam prevention,
and you can do the same logical operations at that layer with
greylisting.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net